Education – 5 Things You May Not Know About School
At GirlNation we are dedicated to helping all girls to be strong and empowered. THE key, the most important influence in empowering girls, is school. Educating girls has a powerful impact not only on their own lives but on society as a whole. Check out these facts to see how important it is for girls to go to school and get an education.
- The United Nations says that education is a basic right for ALL children yet 124 Million children do not have access to schools. Of all those kids, most are girls. Of all the people in the world who cannot read, twice as many are female. BUT, the number of girls having a chance to go to school is increasing.
- The single biggest reason why kids can’t go to school is because their country is at war and it is too dangerous to go to school or they have been forced out of their homes. BUT, educating girls directly reduces the risk of a country being at war. (There are lots of reasons why this happens but they all point back to sending girls to school.)
- Girls who are educated are healthier than girls that are not and healthier women are able to earn more and have less of a risk of living in poverty.
- In the U.S., more girls than guys go to college and have a higher rate of graduating which means the percentage of college-educated women is 15 percent higher than men. BUT, in their lifetime, women will earn less than men. As more girls continue to get more education there will be more women who are in influential positions in government and in corporations. This will cause this earnings difference to get smaller.
- Educating girls provides them with more leadership opportunities and women are the most powerful – seriously, they have the biggest impact – on creating social change and promoting peace.
Okay, sorry, that ended up being more than 5 things…
If you’re reading this you have Internet access and you can, well, read. This makes you incredibly lucky. As girls who are able to go to school and get an education, we have an opportunity to support girls all over the world who are trying to go to school. The next time you are dreading going to school, try to take a moment and think about how important it is to your life and to the whole world – no pressure. 🙂 YOU really do have the power to change the world. It may sound like an incredibly overwhelming thing but if all girls join together and support each other, we can do it. We are unstoppable!
Empower Girls, Change the World
What do you think about the fact that it’s still harder for girls to get an education? Has your school ever had a fundraiser to support education opportunities for girls? Would you ever be interested in starting one? We want to know what you think.
More Info Links: